In April, 2008, the Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production released a condemning report of the meat and dairy production industries in the US, arguing that the trend towards animal farming has become increasingly industrialized and that this is putting the environment, human health and animal welfare at risk. The close confinement of animals increases the risk of the spread of disease, forcing producers to use antibiotics, that in turn lead to resistant strains of microbes. Large scale livestock operations also contribute to 18% of greenhouse gases. The report recommends a ban on the nontherapeutic use of antibiotics, new disease monitoring, new ways to deal with animal waste, and an enforcement of anti trust laws to encourage smaller farm operations.
Imagine if the Alberta government took this report seriously (okay, I know, stretch your imagination a bit)- what would it do to Alberta beef?
Ref: http://www.pewtrusts.org/news_room_detail.aspx?id=38438
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What an excellent reason to eat vegan! I do at home. Still finding it difficult at friends' since they don't what to serve if I don't eat vegetarian. I prefer the taste of vegan however. Interesting that every major culture on the globe was founded on starches + legumes (=complete protein complement), so meat and dairy are not even a requirement for thriving human culture.
Post a Comment