I love western landscapes - the smells, the dry air, the crazy climate, the intense sunlight. But, western landscapes are some of the most contested regions in North America. In less than 50 years, they have been transformed from rural to urban centers. Indeed, Calgary, Edmonton and surrounding cities are marked by explosive growth - urban, suburban . These urban centers are also car dependent, and have sprawled over and into productive agricultural land.
The west is also marked by oil and gas, but also the livestock industries. We are endangering, perhaps irreversibly, our water and air quality by virtue of these industries.
Unfortunately, they are so bound up with Albertan identity that to criticize them is akin to being a traitor to the region.
Sigh.
Luckily, groups are forming to revision the West, not as a greedy, capitalist, 'take what you can and destroy the rest' region, but as an environmentally sound and socially just region.
The Quivira Coalition is one: http://quiviracoalition.org/Radical_Center_Invitation/index.html
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just came across your blog via a post by D'Arcy Norman on his blog. I grew up in Edmonton but moved 14 years ago to Saskatoon, and now live in North Battleford, Saskatchewan. You speak of "The West" as being characterized, correctly or not, as a greedy, capitalist region. This was not always the case, and is not the case in Saskatchewan. Lately, however, we seem to be following down the same path. That is sad because when I moved here I found that this province seemed to be much more about people work co-operatively to create a better common future than competing against each other so that each person can get a bigger slice of the economic pie. The current provincial government under the Saskatchewan Party seems eager to follow the worst parts of the Alberta identity instead of sharing the best of both.
My wife and I are members of a local vegetable co-op from which we get most of our vegetables. We have taken some steps to implement change on a personal level. I look forward to following your blog to get some of your ideas about food, sustainability and social justice.
Hi Rob!
Thanks for connecting. And, for pointing out an uber error on my part. The West can't be reduced to one geographical region, or political culture - perhaps by identifying all the different 'wests' that exist, we can foster those that are more sustainable, community oriented, etc. I'm sad to hear that Saskatchewan is going the way that we are, as some of the most amazing people / initiatives have come from your region. Do you think that our personal changes can transform into broader political ones?
I agree that criticizing the oil & gas industry is kin to blasphemy in Alberta.
And yes, large condensed herds of cattle can be detrimental to ground water. In regards to the cattle industry, large corporations have been overtaking the small producers and processors ( I believe we are now down to 2 processors - Cargill and Lakeside - both of which are AMERICAN. The last independent one gave way a couple of weeks ago). I think the question begs to be answered...Why? One gets much better tasting, healthier beef when it comes off of grass than when it's blown up with barley (as that's what's fed to fatten them up in the feedlots. Barley is a hot feed that can easily burn out the liver). Large numbers of animals in a confined space causes stress in the animals (making the meat tougher & gamier tasting) and well as condensing the waste products that naturally occur. Not good for sloughs and other ground water near those feedlots.
I think a lot more care goes into animals in smaller settings, and a lot more flavour and healthy meat results. It's a better situation for the environment, and it certainly keeps smaller farms and ranches employed. That's just my 2 cents from a former farm kid used to butchering and consuming my own organically grown beef.
Post a Comment